Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 85 & 86 ZAC HAS ARRIVED!!!!

Zac has arrived at the Pacific Ocean at 10:30 p.m. on Sunday, July 27th after a grueling day of a 100-mile ride from Portland, OR to Seaside, OR, through varied and difficult terrain and the most incredible scenery. I got to ride a support car for the first and last day and what an experience that was. Since Zac has truly not received the long distance devoted cycling genes from me, I become more and more impressed as my day continued as to what a physical ride this was. The hills were high, the traffic was unrelentless (and Oregon has great shoulders specifically for cyclists), and the miles seemed endless.. I would drive ahead to a town or two ahead...and then wait.... and if it seemed too long, I would slink back and backtrack to find Zac.... hoping he would not notice his Mamma in a rent-a-car. But he was absolutely determined to hit the Pacific on Sunday. I checked into the hotel at Seaside on the ocean and waited and waited, as it got darker and later..... and later. The bike route took him through the Park near here, and with the addition of having to replace a flat, he was very late... And yes, of course, I got in the car and tracked backwards trying to find him.. So I was on the wrong road. Fortunately, he called within a half hour.
Yesterday, as I drove the support car, leisurely, I was able to notice all the gorgeous scenery around me, take the huge Lewis and Clark Bridge to Longview, WA and back, go to the Eagle Scantary, stop at the fresh raspberry stand, the mutliple flower stands and drive through quite a few small towns on the route.. What an incredible day it was and what a country! It makes you realize how much we miss when we race through our lives, fly everywhere and not appreciate all and everyone around us.... Today we get to take the photo at the Turnabout at Seaside and then pack up the bike, return to Portland and fly back on the 30th. We will keep you posted about the fundraiser on August 4th. Zac wants everyone to know that he is going to write to everyone... Thank you everyone for your support.... ZAC ATTACK has arrived....
*posted by a relieved and grateful Mom*

2 comments:

julia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
julia said...

Congratulations, Zac!!!!! What a truly incredible and amazing thing you have done. You will probably never know the full extent of the effect your fund-raising odyssey will have on family, friends and strangers. The funds you have raised so far will make a difference in the lives of so many people. This is your legacy.

(I removed the original post due to a glaring grammatical error. It's fixed now. It's the curse of being a former teacher. Just thought I'd tell you why it was deleted in case you were curious.)